Crispy Pork Spring Rollswith Vegetables, Jamonilla®, and Sweet & Sour Sauce
- 1 h 0 min
- 4 people
- 7 oz Tulip Jamonilla®
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 4 tbsp green beans
- 4 carrots
- 1 cup beansprouts
- 8 spring roll wraps
- 2 oz cooking oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- Soy sauce
- Sweet and sour sauce
- Vegetable oil
Prepare the filling
- Mash the Jamonilla®.
- Chop the green beans, carrots, onion, and garlic finely.
- Heat some oil in a non-stick pan and add the onion and garlic. Fry until translucent.
- Add in the Jamonilla® and break it up while frying.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add the green beans, beansprouts, and carrots. Season with salt and sugar.
- The filling should be dry, otherwise, your spring rolls will not be as crispy. If the filling is too wet, you need to drain it a bit before filling the spring roll wrappers.
Wrap, roll, and fry
- Lay down the spring roll wrapper in a diamond shape so that you will start rolling from one corner towards the opposite corner. Place 2 tablespoons of filling on the lower half of the spring roll pastry and roll it tightly halfway up the wrapper.
- Bring the sides of the spring roll wrapper to the center and continue rolling it tightly towards the edge.
- The moisture from the filling will seal the spring roll. If not, you can use a bit of water to secure it.
- Pour vegetable oil into a high pan and make sure it will cover the spring rolls.
- Check the temperature of the oil before dumping the spring rolls in. Place the end of a wooden chopstick in the oil, if there are bubbles around the stick, the oil is ready.
- Carefully place the spring rolls in the oil. Do not fry too many spring rolls at a time as it will make the temperature of the oil drop and make the spring rolls absorb too much oil and go soft.
- Let the spring rolls fry for 2-3 minutes until they are golden brown and crispy. Turn occasionally.
- Transfer to a paper towel to dry.
- Serve the crispy spring rolls hot with a sweet and sour sauce for dipping.
Swaps and substitutions
Spring rolls are delicious as a snack, appetizer, or even as a main course. Serve the spring rolls with a refreshing side to compliment the savory flavors. A fresh noodle salad made of cabbage, edamame beans, cucumber, and fresh lime juice would be a great choice.
Instead of the sweet and sour sauce, you can also make your own fish sauce. It is easy and tasty:
2 tbsp fish sauce
3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1 tbsp chopped chili
- Chop garlic and chili finely.
- Mix with the fish sauce, sugar, lime juice, and water. Stir together well.
- Serve the fish sauce together with hot spring rolls, a Vietnamese salad, or fried rice.